The Gilbert & Sullivan Society: Manchester
Notices: Sunday March 6th 2022
The Norman Beckett meeting; an afternoon when we remember him with gratitude. He was a pillar of this Society, Secretary for many years and an accompanist, playing the piano and his church organ. He and his wife Grace sang in Salford Choral Society for many years.
1) Our members Peter Crichton and Sally Shaw will perform in The Yeomen of the Guard with Crosby G&S Society, Peter as Fairfax, Sally as Elsie, on Wednesday 16th to Friday 18th March at 7.30pm and Saturday 19th at 2.30pm at Southport Little Theatre, (near the station), Hoghton Street, Southport, PR9 0PA. For tickets contact Peter on 07796 176018 or firstname.lastname@example.org And that Society will perform to us on April 3rd.
2) New Rosemere Gilbert and Sullivan Society will also perform The Yeomen of the Guard on Tuesday March 22nd to Friday 25th at 7.30 pm and Saturday 26th at 2.30 pm at Bolton Little Theatre, Hanover Street, Bolton BLL 4TG. Book on their website.
3) Scottish Opera with D’Oyly Carte and State Opera South Australia will perform The Gondoliers at Hackney Empire, London March 30th to 2nd April. Concert form of Utopia Ltd Hackney Empire 1st April 2022 at 7.30. Richard Suart is Scaphio and Ben McAteer King Paramount, a very big part.
4) Oldham Choral Society will perform Rossini’s Petite Messe Solonelle and Puccini’s Messe de Gloria on Sunday 10th April at 7.00 pm at the Stoller Hall, adjacent to Victoria Station, Manchester, near to Chetham’s Music School. More information and tickets available from Margaret Hood Hoodmandhv@gmail.com
5) Sale Gilbert and Sullivan Society will perform HMS Pinafore and the Zoo from Monday May 16th to Thursday 19th at 7.30 pm each evening at the Lowry. Tickets £16, concessions £15. Ring 0343 208 6000 See also their website salegass.org.uk
6) Three Towns Operatic Society will present Iolanthe Tuesday May 17th to Saturday 21st. Venue to be confirmed due to building work on their usual venue.
See their website www.thethreetowns.net
Please note that these dates overlap with Sale G&S.
Christopher Browne has brought a few sales items and remember that he has a large stock of G&S and other theatre memorabilia for sale. vIsit www.gilbertandsullivanonline.com to see his online catalogue and order online or by phone.
And Barbara Richardson has some professional photos of Tom Round and a few other D’Oyly Carte stars for sale. These usually sell for about Non-autographed items c.£8.00-£12.00. Autographed c. £15.00-£20.00. Also some records and other items.
And Jean has a centenary D’Oyly Carte plate. Lovely pastel blue and green colours. After David Homer’s demise his daughter asked Jean if she could find a good home for it.
There are copies of our programme card and coloured leaflet to use for publicity; please take some to display in your local library, evening class centre, music shop or to give to anyone who may be interested in our Society. We do need to keep numbers up.
Remember we have one more Zoom meeting this season, on Saturday March 19th at 10.30 am UK time (evening in Australia) when Stuart Maunder will talk about his production of Gondoliers mentioned overleaf, item 3, and his concert form presentation of Utopia.
On Sunday April 3rd at 2.30 pm in Cross Street Chapel LIVE meeting when Crosby G&S Society will give us a concert.
And on Tuesday evening May 10th at 7.30 pm on ZOOM the Annual General Meeting.
And of course the Convention – a whole weekend of G&S; fun and fellowship – “oh, it’s too much happiness”. Friday evening May 13th (Sullivan’s birthday) to Sunday 15th after lunch at the charming Alma Lodge Hotel on the A6 in Stockport. There are some spare programmes and booking forms here today. A good number of people from around the country have booked but there are still places available for residential or non-residential.