Notices: Tuesday February 4th 2020
- Rochdale Phoenix Opera Society will present HMS Pinafore on Wed 26th Feb, Thurs 27th, Fri 28th at 7.30 pm, Saturday matinee 29th Feb at 2.30. No evening performance on the Saturday. The Curtain Theatre, Milkstone Road, Rochdale O11 1EB. Tickets £12 adults and £6 for accompanied children. Ticket sales; ring 01706 842 785 and Jenny Hatton 119 Trent Road, Shaw, OL2 7QU, cheques payable to Rochdale Phoenix Opera Society.
- Peter Crichton, a former member of ours, who rejoined us on Tuesday with his partner Sally, now performs with Crosby G&S Soc; they are doing a “Come and Sing” Pirates of Penzance on Saturday February 29th at 7.30 pm in St Faith’s Church, Crosby Road North, Waterloo, Liverpool L23 4RE. Tickets adults £10. Children aged 5 to 15 £5. Advance bookings 07748 192953. Dress code: Pirate. Proceeds in aid of Cancer Research UK. See also www.crosbygs.co.uk
And Crosby G&S Soc will perform Yeomen of the Guard in April Wed 22nd to Saturday 25th at Southport Little Theatre, Hoghton Street, Southport PR9 0PA. Wed to Fri 7.30 pm. Sat 2.30 pm. Adults £15 Under 16 & Students £13. Advance bookings 07748 192953. Little Theatre Box Office 01704 530521 from Wed 15th April 11.00 am to 2.30 pm. Or more information from Peter Crichton email email@example.com
- Remember that our next meeting on Tuesday 3rd March at 7.15 pm will celebrate Frederic’s birthday (3 days late!). We will not have quizzes and games this time – John Coates will present something different musing on the Paradoxical, Topsy-Turvy world created by Gilbert in the operas. Come and enjoy Pirate sherry and cake: one of our members volunteered on Tuesday to make a cake.
- Manchester University Gilbert and Sullivan Society (MUGSS) will perform The Sorcerer on Thursday March 26th, at 7.30 pm, Friday March 27rd at 7.30 pm and Saturday March 28th at 2.00 pm (please note) and 7.30 pm. Please note that the dates quoted before were wrong as was the time of the Sat. Mat. Further information from their website or James Mitchell, assistant musical director on firstname.lastname@example.org
- Valerie Bailey tells us of a Coffee Morning of Lancastrian Theatre Organ Trust on Saturday April 4th. Everson Whittle also belongs to that Trust. Sale G&S Society will sing an hour of G&S – the concert they gave at Grim’s Dyke Hotel last May, which was delightful. Anthony Hunt will play half an hour of Sullivan music on the mighty Compton. Also sounds delightful! Valerie says there are only 80 seats and last year they sold out. She has gone back to Tenerife but Tony Noden has tickets. £6 each which includes a scone with jam and cream and a coffee or tea. Tickets available from Tony Noden if you send a cheque payable to Lancastrian Theatre Organ Trust and sae to Tony at 45 The Circuit, Cheadle Hulme, Cheadle, Cheshire SK8 7LF or just email him on email@example.com (that is an underline between Anthony and Noden) and ask him to reserve you a seat and pay on the door on the day. Venue: Lancastrian Theatre Organ Trust, Alexandra Road, M30 7HS. Leave M60 at Junction 11 and take A57 eastwards. It is possible the concert may be moved to a larger venue, maybe next door at Patricroft Methodist Church. Donations to LTOT welcomed.
- And the very next day, Sunday April 5th at 2.30 pm, will it be “too much happiness”?, have you put in your diary our meeting when John Savournin will entertain us in song with his lovely bass-baritone voice and talk about his work as performer and director. He is currently working with Opera North a lot. Admission: members £5, visitors £7. This may be a good meeting to bring friends to as it should be a real treat and deserves a bigger audience than we sometimes get, as does today’s meeting. So be thinking about who you could entice to join us.
- Chris Browne told us there is an internet-only radio station SERENADE MUSIC which has recently broadcast a number of Chris’s compositions. On Sunday evenings David Corbett presents a two-hour light music programme 7.00-9.00pm (he’s also included G&S).
Looking further ahead one of Chris’s pieces will be played by the Promenade Concert Orchestra, conductor Howard Rogerson, (who spoke at one of our meetings a couple of years ago) on Sunday 29 March @ 3.00pm.
and Chris will be including a G&S Selection in his concert at The Joseph Rowntree Theatre, York on Sunday 24 May @ 3.00pm (details on the theatre’s website).
- Chris sometimes brings some of his sales items to our meetings and remember that he has a large stock of G&S and other theatre memorabilia for sale. They can be ordered: Tel/fax: 01422 844744 or visit www.gilbertandsullivanonline.com to see his online catalogue and order online or by phone.Are there any other forthcoming performances or anything else to announce?
- There are copies of our programme card and coloured leaflet to use for publicity; please take some to display in your local library, evening class centre, music shop or to give to anyone who may be interested in our Society. We do need to keep numbers up.
Remember that we record (sound only) most of our meetings. If you miss one, or would like to hear it again, please contact Paul Taylor or Jean Dufty.